Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

The summer of 79...

Yes is sounds like it should be the name of a song or a title to a movie, but instead it was my life.


It was mid June and I was busy working at the daycare center, I began to think about what life was going to be like at the local public high school and keeping my eyes open for my next steady relationship.  Knowing I was changing schools in the fall, it seemed like the friends I had, began to dwindle, I had no reason be involved with the pre-fall activities they were gearing up for, and had no interest in pursuing any of the male attractions from my old school knowing it would be strained attending different schools, so I started my summer out with what some would call a clean slate, but for me it was bit more like a blank slate. 

When I composed the post on "Life before", I couldn't remember how I had met the guy that was in his 20's from that summer, and as I've been working on this post it came to me that he was working at the center with me.  I don't recall just when he started, or even what he did there, but I remember him in the class rooms with us at different times. I remember being attracted to him and being flirty with him, disappointed to realize he was only returning the attention in order to get some action with no true depth of affection attached to it. 


~~~~~~~~~~

I had gone into Seattle that day, as I recall to have lunch with my Mom downtown somewhere near the bank. I was getting quit independent at that point and felt very comfortable riding the bus into town, wandering the streets window shopping and hanging about waiting for mom to take her lunch break, and for a while after till I was in  the mood to head for home. 

The weather was comfortably warm, so I had decided that I would wear what was popular at the time a thin knit wrap around dress that was somewhat fitted.  I knew it was one that drew attention in all the right places, and wearing it downtown had its advantages. Men who open doors for you, give up their seats on the bus, and give a you second look with little recognition to the fact that you are only a 16 year old girl. 

It was probably mid afternoon before deciding to climb on a bus and work my way home that day, and we were probably half the way home when the trouble started. I don't recall when the man sat down behind me, but it didn't take long to realize it was going to be a rough ride home.  The wrap around dress fit nicely as long as I was standing up, but sitting on a cramped bus seat the overlap in the front seemed to have a mind of its own.  So I had been spending a fair amount of my time tugging the v-neck together to avoid gaping and pulling on the skirt portion to keep my legs covered. The guy behind decided that he was liking the show, and thought he deserved a little more. He started leaning forward and making little comment, "hey baby, you don't have to do that, you can give us a little peak, go ahead and leave that skirt open, it's okay baby....". I thank God for the bus driver that day. He seemed to realize that the guy behind me was looking for trouble and that I was not comfortable with his comments. At the next stop the driver called out the guy and kicked him off the bus and moved me to the front seat and proceeded to talk with me the rest of my ride home. So that started my attraction to a bus driver.


~~~~~~~~~~

Somewhere in the mix of all this craziness, a new family appeared at daycare center, the father was attractive, and he was there everyday dropping off and picking up his kids. I took notice of him, but had no idea if there was a wife, he was much older than any of the others I had been drawn to, and he would show up in the heat of pick up time, so there was little opportunity for interactions. So I worked, rode the bus and kept moving on.


The 4th of July had rolled around, Dad was living at the house with his girlfriend at that point, he had left school and taken a job managing a local restaurant that was on the water front. I was doing my best to be a sufficient pill to his girlfriend, and in spite of my behavior she had asked me to go down to the to the restaurant and then see the fireworks that were going to be shot off there on the water. Well I said I needed to change and I don't know what she thought I said, but one way or another she took off and I ended left alone at house that night with nothing to do. Hanging around the house was not that big a deal, and at one point I was sitting in my bedroom window watching a family in the parking lot of the apartments across the street from our house when I recognized the kids and the dad of the new family at the center...so being a typical teen open to opportunities to make some extra cash I decided to offer my services as a babysitter to them next time I saw them at the center.


So now with an excuse to approach the new dad I had a chance to check him out a bit closer and offer my babysitting services from the convenience of being across the street. With no need because his girl friend lived with him, things were reduced to quick hello's and minimal chit chat here and there, until he approached me a couple weeks later needing a sitter.  His girlfriend had moved out and he needed to work overtime that weekend and needed someone to watch the kids.


So I arrived that Saturday morning, got the low down on all the rules and emergency contacts and off to work he went. I did my usual of hanging with the kids, a little house cleaning and fixed the meals for the kids.  After he returned home, I headed back across the street to return again the next morning to do it all again. But when he returned home the second evening something had changed.  He was tired from working the extra hours so he decide that he was going to take the kids to dinner and he wanted to know if I wanted to join them. So I knew with Dad down at the restaurant most evenings there wasn't much going on at home, so I figured why not. 


Sitting at dinner, we managed to talk and talk that night and there was a strange connection regardless of the 13 year age difference. When we returned to the apartment, we put the kids to bed, and continued to sit and talk.  But as it got late, I knew I needed to get home, so he walked me to the door, we stepped out on to the porch and he reached out and kissed me, which in full comic form, turned around in shock and walked into the support post for the upstairs! Fully embarrassed I side stepped the post and kept walking.


I started getting rides home from work with him, hanging around the apartment, cooking meals for them (they were living on TV dinners, boxed mac & cheese, Ramem  noodles and hot dogs), and he offered to teach me to play chess.  So we would spend time in the front room, curtains open with nothing to hide, attempting to look as innocent as possible. We were just hanging out, but as you can figure when you are spending allot of time with someone, one thing lead to another.  But he didn't force me, he didn't pressure me to do anything I wasn't ready for, and I was comfortable and trusted him enough that taking things beyond my normal boundaries felt okay, and giving myself sexually seemed like what I should do. I had basically stopped attending church and all my time and energy became focused on this man and his children.  We were becoming this domestic family, the normalcy I was seeking was found in playing house with this man across the street. Yet I was still going home across the street every night, knowing that I would be starting school soon, very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment